CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Getting Old Sucks

I am making a conscious effort to become a healthier "me". I am not exactly dieting, it's more of a "watching what I eat" type of thing. I'm not getting any younger regardless of how young I feel on most days. I start the decent "down the hill" soon, I hit 41 in a few weeks. Ugh!!!
I have 2 major weaknesses when it comes to my diet; Chocolate & Mt. Dew.
Cindy & I decided a few weeks ago to eat healthier. More water, less sodas; more fiber & protein, less chocolate. We even joined a gym recently. So far the effort is paying off for both of us. I feel better, I have more energy and even managed to lose a few pounds along the way.
I admire anyone who can diet & exercise and be successful at it. Willpower is the key. Throughout my day I have strong cravings for a Mt. Dew. Typically, it would be nothing for me to drink 3 Dews in one day and then several glasses of ice tea in evenings. Neither Cindy nor I are fans of regular water so we drink flavored water. We have bought a lot of sugar free candy and fat free snacks and that has seemed to have helped quite a bit.
Regular visits to the gym begin soon. I dread the first week and having to cope with all the soreness.
Getting old sucks.

5 comments:

Marvin said...

I'm cranky for Diet Coke, so I know what you're going through.

And yes, getting old sucks.

Broke But Still Drinking said...

I've found that getting a paper route with dogs does wonders for the mid-section.

Bryan said...

Marvin- I managed to keep my distance from the Mt. Dew today. However, I came home from work today and my son had a Dew in the fridge. It's been calling my name but I'm ignoring it. Lol.

Broke- Lol! I kinda have that now. I do pest control and have many customers with big dogs. I hate it when they surprise me by leaving their dog in the back yard unannounced!

terri said...

I know what you're going through. One of the hardest things for me to do was give up Diet Coke. It's been a few weeks, but I feel so much better. I didn't realize how much the Coke was making me feel sick. And as far as exercise goes, it'll help having a partner to motivate you and once you get in routine it gets easier. Good luck!

Bryan said...

Thanks Terri!
It's getting a little easier each day. I do have a mt dew on the weekends at bowling.